* This is a living document that will be updated on a regular basis until it is no longer needed. For the most up-to-date information, please visit the Harris Teeter COVID-19 response page.
Message from Harris Teeter president Rod Antolock:
Dear Valued Customer,
At Harris Teeter, our shoppers and our associates are like family. And like you, during these last few weeks we’ve been focused on doing all the things we need to do to keep our families safe and healthy.
We activated our preparedness plan several weeks ago, and we continue to monitor the rapidly evolving situation. As always, we are following guidance from federal, state and local agencies, including the CDC and other health organizations.
We know our communities need us, and that’s why our teams are working so hard to keep our stores open, stocked and clean. And that’s why our supply chain teams are working to ensure that the food, medicine and cleaning supplies our shoppers need are reaching our stores as quickly as possible and are available through ExpressLane Online Shopping and delivery, where available. We will continue to monitor our inventory and may limit quantities of specific items based on availability.
Here are the steps we’re taking to protect our shoppers and our valued associates:
In Our Stores
- Cleaning commonly used areas more often, including cashier stations, self-checkouts, credit card terminals, and food service counters, and cleaning shelves when restocking products.
- Sanitizing restrooms more frequently and restocking with supplies, including soap, paper towels and hand sanitizer.
- Adding extra hand sanitizer at cashier stations, food service counters, and all Pharmacy, and Starbucks locations.
- Wiping down shopping carts, baskets and equipment.
- Partnering with our suppliers to replenish high-demand preparedness products.
- Continuing to provide our customers with free disinfectant wipes at our store entrances to sanitize their shopping carts or baskets.
- Following best practices for safe food handling, as always.
For Our Associates
- Encouraging our associates to closely monitor their health and well-being.
- Providing hand sanitizer and tissues in breakrooms and meeting rooms.
- Asking our associates to stay home if they, or someone in their household, are sick.
- Reminding our associates about our Fred J. Morganthall, II Foundation – an internal employee assistance fund – which could offer financial support to associates who may be directly affected.
- Suspending business air travel for associates and recommending virtual meetings.
For Our Shoppers
- Encouraging our shoppers to follow the CDC’s suggested hygiene practices to reduce the spread of the virus.
- Recommending that our shoppers also practice safe food handling at home.
In everything we do, we’re guided by our commitment to provide an Incredible Place to Work & Shop. We strive to make decisions that balance the safety of our valued associates with our commitments to our shoppers and communities. And above all else, we’ll be there for our communities when they need us most.
Thank you for being a loyal shopper.